Every year on August 15, the last night of Obon, Todaiji Temple holds its “Ceremony of 10,000 Lights.” During Obon the spirits of the dead are thought to return; on the last night, Japanese set out lanterns to light the way for their deceased loved-ones' return journeys back to the beyond. The Buddha Hall is illuminated with over 2,500 lanterns at this time (four flames per lantern), and a window above the entrance is opened allowing a view of the Great Buddha’s illuminated face gazing out serenely. A small fee is charged to those who haven’t applied for entry ahead of time.
Last update: 2017-06-14
- Venue Details & Access Info
406-1 Zoshicho, Nara (Todaiji Temple)
From Kintetsu Nara Station:
- 20 minutes on foot from the station.
Related Venues Todaiji Temple
- 万灯供養会 Todaiji Manto Kuyoe
- address 奈良市雑司町406-1（東大寺） 406-1 Zoshicho, Nara (Todaiji Temple)
- Opening Time & Admissions
15 Aug - 15 Aug
19:00 - 22:00