The Tenpyo Festival takes you back to the Nara period, on the Former Site of Heijokyo Imperial Palace. The theme is Tanabata, the star festival, based on a legend of two lovers transformed into stars, who could meet across the Milky Way just once a year. There are costume parades, traditional dances, light shows, candle illuminations and night markets, on the last weekend in August.
- Multilingual information available in QR code format
- Venue Details & Access Info
Former Site of Heijokyu Imperial Palace
Sakicho, Nara (Former Site of Heijokyu Imperial Palace)
From Kintesu Yamato Saidaiji Station:
- 15 minutes on foot from the station.
Related Venues Former Site of Heijokyu Imperial Palace
- 天平たなばた祭り～平城京天平祭・夏～ Heijo Tempyo Summer Festival
- address 奈良市佐紀町（平城宮跡） Sakicho, Nara (Former Site of Heijokyu Imperial Palace)
- Opening Time & Admissions
Last Fri - Sun of Aug
17:30 - 21:00
Available Foreign Languages
No foreign language spoken (Japanese only)
- Contact Details