Untouched for thousands of years, Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest stretches out across an area of around half a kilometer, behind Kasugataisha Shrine. With logging and hunting prohibited since AD 841, this is a rare ecosystem with over 175 types of trees, wild animals, rare birds and insects.
There are hiking courses in the forest that pass a waterfall and small caves carved with Buddha figures. You can climb up to Mt Wakakusa for spectacular views over the city. It is also possible to drive along the Nara Okuyama Driveway which snakes across Mt Wakakusa and looks out over the forest expanse. Many bus tours also include the drive on their route.
- Visitors must stick to designated walking routes.
- The forest may not be explored freely.
Last update: 2016-12-07
- Venue Details & Access Info
From JR/Kintetsu Nara Station:
- Take the bus bound to Kasuga Taisha Honden and alight at the last top.
Related Venues Mt. Wakakusa
Mt. Wakakusa - Mt. Kasuga Nature Trail
- 春日山原始林 Mt. Kasuga Primeval Forest
- address 奈良市春日野町 Kasuganocho, Nara
- Contact Details