Mt Wakakusa is actually three overlapping hills, which offer fairly easy hiking trails from behind Todaiji Temple and Kasugataisha Shrine. There is also a longer trail starting from Kasugayama Primeval Forest which can also be traveled by bicycle. You can hike up in most seasons, though the trails are closed in mid-winter. Along the way, there are benches to rest and take in the views and well-maintained steps leading to the summit.
Last update: 2023-11-08
- Venue Details & Access Info
From JR/Kintetsu Nara Station:
- Take the bus bound for Kasugataisha Honden, alight at the last stop (Kasugataisha Honden) and 5 minutes on foot from the stop.
- 若草山登頂〜春日山遊歩道 Mt. Wakakusa - Mt. Kasuga Nature Trail
- address 奈良市春日野町 Kasuganocho, Nara
- Opening Time & Admissions
Shin-Mt. Wakakusa Driveway: 8:00 - 23:00 (- 22:00 on Winter)
Mt. Wakakusa: 3rd Saturday of Mar - 2nd Sunday of Dec (walking trail open year-round)
From the Monday following the second Sunday in December to the Friday before the third Saturday in March
(The observatory is open all-year around)
*Group discount available
*Discounts available for disabled visitors
- Contact Details