Just Chill: Sunday in Nara Park
You’re on holiday with no plans and the whole day ahead of you. How do you want to spend your Sunday? A stroll through the park? Brunch with the deer? Hiking to a great picnic spot, or a leisurely afternoon tea… Nara Park is the perfect place to chill out on your day off.
a great way to start the day
If you’re an early riser, head down to Ukimido, the classical hexagonal wooden pavilion that appears to float on Sagiike Pond. With no one but deer for company, the pavilion, often misty at sunrise, looks magical. A brisk walk through the park without the crowds is a great way to start the day.
- This pretty wooden pavilion on Sagiike Pond is a perfect photo spot. History & Culture Nara Park
the morning views over the temple roofs from its stone steps are beautiful
You can grab a coffee or juice at Cafe Nagood on Sanjo-dori Street, which opens from 8am and head up to Nigatsudo, one of the smaller halls of Todaiji Temple. The morning views over the temple roofs from its stone steps are beautiful. Get there early before the tour buses arrive.
- The views over Nara from Nigatsudo are stunning at any time of day, but especially in the morning and evening. History & Culture Nara Park
a good choice for a relaxed brunch
On the edge of Nara Park, Monsieur Pepe is a good choice for a relaxed brunch from 11am. Try to get a table out back near the garden or relax under the market umbrellas at the front. The restaurant specialises in casual French dishes and offers free WI-Fi.
- Monsieur Pepe
- Relax over a long, lazy French-style brunch. Western Restaurants Nara Park
a relaxing way to explore contemporary art
The quiet historic streets around Shinyakushiji Temple feel like Sunday every day. A visit to the nearby Nara City Museum of Photography is a relaxing way to explore contemporary art. There is a small cafe and a library of art books, so you can take your time.
- Nara City Museum of Photography
- Get your art fix, linger over coffee and browse the collection of photography books. Museums Nara Park
beautiful any day
Nara Hotel is beautiful any day, but an indulgent pot of tea or bowl of matcha with cakes in the Tea Lounge is one of the best ways to enjoy it. If your afternoon goes well, you might even decide to stay through the evening to enjoy The Bar.
- Nara Hotel
- Explore the historic Nara Hotel, before an indulgent afternoon tea. Hotels Nara Park
be rewarded with beautiful views across Nara
If your Sunday so far has involved a lot of eating, you might feel the need to burn off some calories. There’s no need for a gym when you can hike up Mt. Wakakusa. After a short, steep incline which takes around 30 minutes, you’ll be rewarded with beautiful views across Nara.
- Mt. Wakakusa
- Take a picnic for an easy hike up to the top and sweeping views. Nature & The Outdoors Nara Park
More Related Reading
7 related lists & stories
First Time in Nara: The Essential Don't Miss List
10 Reasons Nara Should Be on Your Bucket List
Taste This: Nara's Top Sake Spots