All over Japan, households engage in Osoji, or big cleaning, to prepare for the New Year. Temples also join in ritual cleaning. At Yakushiji Temple, cleaning begins on December 29. In the morning, you can watch locals making mochi cakes, then monks and volunteers clean and purify the Buddha statues in a bustle of activity.
- Venue Details & Access Info
457 Nishinokyocho, Nara (Yakushiji Temple)
From Kintetsu Nishinokyo Station:
- 5 minutes on foot from the station.
Related Venues Yakushiji Temple
- お身拭い（薬師寺） Yakushiji Ominugui
- address 奈良市西ノ京町457（薬師寺） 457 Nishinokyocho, Nara (Yakushiji Temple)
- Opening Time & Admissions
29 Dec - 29 Dec
- Contact Details