Known as the bamboo temple, Emperor Konin (708-781) would come to Daianji Temple to pray and drink sake in the surrounding bamboo forest. This festival is a memorial for him. Bamboo plays a significant part, from the decorations to the monks playing bamboo shakuhachi flutes, to the warm sake served in fresh bamboo vessels. Some people believe that illnesses like cancer can be confined within the bamboo cup and that drinking the sake will keep them healthy.
Last update: 2019-06-11
- Venue Details & Access Info
2-18-1 Daianji, Nara
From JR Nara Station, Kintesu Nara Station:
- Take the bus bound for either Daianji, Sharp-mae or Shiratsuchicho and alight at the Daianji stop.
- 竹供養（癌封じ夏祭り） Take Kuyo Summer Festival
- address 奈良市大安寺2-18-1 2-18-1 Daianji, Nara
- Opening Time & Admissions
23 Jun - 23 Jun
8:00 - 16:00
Available Foreign Languages
No foreign language spoken (Japanese only)
- Contact Details