On the approach to Kasugataisha Shrine, this walled garden features around 250 varieties of plants, described in Japan’s oldest collection of poetry, the Manyoshu. A pleasant strolling garden in all seasons, it is best around May when the wisteria are in full bloom, and in early June for the irises. On May 5 and November 10, traditional performances with ancient court music and dancers in period costume are held at the shrine.
Last update: 2016-11-14
- Venue Details & Access Info
160 Kasuganocho, Nara
From Kintetsu Nara Station:
- Take the bus bound for Kasuga Taisha Honden and alight at the last stop (Kasuga Taisha Honden).
- 25 minutes on foot from the station.
Related Venues Kasugataisha Shrine
Kasuga Ninai Jaya
- 春日大社 神苑 萬葉植物園 Kasugataisha Shrine Man'yo Botanical Garden
- address 奈良市春日野町160 160 Kasuganocho, Nara
- Opening Time & Admissions
Spring - Autumn: 9:00 - 16:30 (last admission 17:00)
Winter: 9:00 - 16:00 (last admission 16:30)
Mondays, except public holidays in Winter
*Group discount available
- Contact Details