The Wakamiya Onmatsuri takes place annually at Kasugataisha Shrine on December 17. It has been passed down for over 1200 years and the performances associated with it have been designated a National Important Intangible Folk Cultural Property. A procession of priests, samurai, and locals in 12th century attire start from Nara City Hall and move through the streets, eventually arriving at the shrine late at night. Shinto dance (kagura) and traditional courtly song and dance (bugaku) are performed along the route, with a variety of other events occurring sporadically throughout the festivities.
Last update: 2016-11-14
- Venue Details & Access Info
160 Kasuganocho, Nara (Kasugataisha Shrine)
From Kintetsu Nara Station:
- 25 minutes on foot from the station.
Related Venues Kasugataisha Shrine
- 春日若宮おん祭り Wakamiya Onmatsuri
- address 奈良市春日野町160（春日大社） 160 Kasuganocho, Nara (Kasugataisha Shrine)
- Opening Time & Admissions
15 Dec - 18 Dec
- Contact Details