This street festival takes place every year on August 2 and 3, turning the quaint hotspring hamlet of Dorogawa Onsen into a two-day party. Gyoja refer to Shugendo practitioners, and the festival is said to have its origins in honouring En-no-Gyoja, the sect’s founder. Legend says his return to the region after wrongful exile was welcomed with great celebration. The festivities are marked by goofy clown-mask dancing, ogre parades, and a general vibe of summer merriment with revelers strolling about in yukata (light summer robes). The gyoja themselves are out en masse, easily spotted porting the conch shells they use for ceremonies.
Last update: 2016-11-14
- Venue Details & Access Info
Throughout Dorogawa Onsen
Dorogawa, Tenkawa, Yoshino
From Kintetsu Shimoichiguchi Station:
- Take the bus bound for Dorogawa onsen and alight at the end of the line.
- 大峯山洞川温泉 行者まつり Dorogawa Gyoja Festival
- address 吉野郡天川村洞川 Dorogawa, Tenkawa, Yoshino
- Opening Time & Admissions
02 Aug - 03 Aug
Aug 2: 10:00 - 21:00
Aug 3: 13:00 - 22:00
- Contact Details