This lantern festival takes place annually on August 14 and 15 to celebrate Obon, Japan’s season of honouring the dead. Over 3,000 lanterns illuminate the shrine grounds during this period, including stone lanterns set along the walking paths. Traditional court music and dance known as bugaku is performed on the first night, and the second sees the ancient Shinto theatrical dance called kagura performed in the main hall. Passing through the torii gate into the candle-lit night is a magical experience. Kasugataisha has held this festival every summer for the past 800 years.
Last update: 2019-06-14
- Venue Details & Access Info
160 Kasuganocho, Nara (Kasugataisha Shrine)
From Kintetsu Nara Station:
- 25 minutes on foot from the station.
Related Venues Kasugataisha Shrine
- 中元万燈籠 Chugen Mantoro Lantern Festival
- address 奈良市春日野町160（春日大社） 160 Kasuganocho, Nara (Kasugataisha Shrine)
- Opening Time & Admissions
14 Aug - 15 Aug
19:00 - 21:30
- Contact Details