If you’re looking for a way to cool down in summer, head to Himuro Shrine for the annual “snow” festival. The god of ice is enshrined here, and the shrine has drawn ice sellers since the Nara period. The main draws are the stalls from shaved ice (kakigori) specialists from all over Japan and a special tea ceremony performed in traditional Nara period costumes. Usually held over the first weekend in May.
- Venue Details & Access Info
1-4 Kasuganocho, Nara
From Kintetsu Nara Station:
- 15 minutes on foot from the station.
- ひむろしらゆき祭り Himuro Shirayuki Shaved Ice Festival
- address 奈良市春日野町1-4 1-4 Kasuganocho, Nara
- Opening Time & Admissions
Varied rates apply
- Contact Details