Originally a large temple with lodging for Shugendo practitioners, the complex now features a beautiful ryokan, a smaller temple and grand landscaped gardens. The garden, designed around 300 years ago by tea master Sen-no-Rikyu (often known as Rikyu), is especially beautiful in spring, when the pond is lined with cherry trees in bloom. The trail up the hill behind the garden leads to an archery ground and the views across the mountains towards Kinpusenji Temple are lovely in all seasons. The garden is illuminated in autumn.
Last update: 2020-07-27
- Venue Details & Access Info
2142 Yoshinoyama, Yoshino, Yoshino
From Kintetsu Yoshino Station:
- Take the shuttle bus bound for Nakasenbon.
Related Venues Chikurin-in Gunpoen
- 竹林院 Chikurin-in Temple & Garden
- address 吉野郡吉野町大字吉野山2142 2142 Yoshinoyama, Yoshino, Yoshino
- Opening Time & Admissions
9:00 - 20:00
- Contact Details