Founded around 700, this shrine is associated with Benzaiten, the deity of art, music and water and combines many elements of both Shinto and Buddhism. The temple is popular with Shugendo practitioners. This shrine has a Noh stage, and performances are usually held in July. It is also considered to be a “power spot” by many new age enthusiasts. The climb to the shrine involves several steep flights of stairs through a forest of cedar and oak trees.
- Venue Details & Access Info
107 Tsubouchi, Tenkawa, Yoshino
From Shimoichiguchi Station:
- Take the bus bound for Nakaiosumi and alight at Tenkawa Jinja-mae.
- 大峯本宮天河大辨財天社 Tenkawa Daibenzaiten-sha Shrine
- address 吉野郡天川村大字坪内107 107 Tsubouchi, Tenkawa, Yoshino
- Opening Time & Admissions
7:00 - 17:00
Open all year round
Available Foreign Languages
No foreign language spoken (Japanese only)
Information in English
- Contact Details