At the top of sacred Mt Omine, this temple, founded in the 7th Century, is the final destination on the pilgrimage route for Shugendo mountain ascetic practitioners. Open from May 3 to September 23 each year, the climb takes around four hours. Women are forbidden from climbing the mountain and visiting the temple. Proper hiking gear is recommended for the steep mountain paths.
- Women are only allowed up to the "Nyonin Kekkaimon" and no further.
- Venue Details & Access Info
Ohminesan Peak, Tenkawa, Yoshino
From Kintetsu Shimoichiguchi - Station:
- Take a bus bound for Dorogawa onsen and alight at the end of the line. 4hrs walk from the bus stop.
- 大峯山寺 Ohminesanji Temple
- address 吉野郡天川村大峯山(山上ヶ岳)山頂 Ohminesan Peak, Tenkawa, Yoshino
- Opening Time & Admissions
May 3 - Sep 22: 6:00 - 16:30
Sep 25 - May 2
Available Foreign Languages
No foreign language spoken (Japanese only)
- Contact Details